Unfolding CommunitiesThe lost Jews of Unsleben
Donnerstaghaus-Sreugasse – 76
Owner 1932: Bernhard Donnerstag
The socalled Donnerstaghaus has been built by Mennlein Donnerstag in two steps. The right half in 1820 and the left part in 1832. It was for 100 years the only new home built by a Jew until in 1928 the Liebenthals built their villa.
Mennlein Donnerstag also was the first one, who renounced the protectorate of the castle and stopped paying for it.
The last owner was Bernhard Lustig (18601932), a cattle trader, who died in 1932, his wife already died in 1909.
His sons Max (1893) and Sally (1904) immigrated in time to New York. They left behind their aunt Klara (1882) who had to move to the old age home in Würzburg and from there was deported in 1942 to Theresienstadt.